Yes, I am pale compared to the Khmer population. BUT, I’m not the only pasty person plodding Phnom Penh’s pavement (forgive me for that J)
There is quite a large ex-patriot community here and it’s inspiring to hear why oh why these people are in Cambodia.
Last night I met two girls working for an organization that provides job skills to children whose families work in the nearby garbage dump. They house the children six days a week and are trying to raise a generation of youngsters with a future that doesn’t involve the dangerous work of scrap selling. (Imagine the rush of kids racing toward an ice-cream truck. Now, hold that feeling, but switch the vehicle to a dump truck. Mmmhmm, not as pleasant to say the least).
I’ve met people who provide music therapy to girls freed from the bonds of the forced sex industry. I’ve met photographers and various artists raising awareness for the recent forced evictions.
It’s easy to be inspired when you live in Cambodia. But to make a difference is much harder. I’m glad to hear that these people are working to make real chance and I’m honored to work for an organization that I believe is making a sustainable difference.
No comments:
Post a Comment