Friday, April 24, 2009

My New Friend- Cambodge

I think my honeymoon phase is coming to an end.

That doesn’t mean I’ve grown a grudge against Cambodia. It’s just that the mystifying, jaw-dropping, awe-inspiring moments aren’t as dramatic anymore. Maybe it’s becoming more… normalish? I feel that this place – a surprisingly perfect blend of endless heat, chaotic traffic, rich history and beautiful people – is starting to feel almost home-y.  I have to admit, I wasn’t expecting to fall so hard for this place.

Still, I can’t say I’m totally comfortable here. If Cambodia were a friend, I’d say she and I are past the status of “acquaintances” and have entered the stage of “darn good friends.”

Just like any “darn good friend” though, our relationship is dynamic and at time tumultuous.  I’m starting to notice the little things I easily ignored before. For example, Liz – the gecko who lives/lived in my bathroom – seems to have disappeared, but a new gecko, let’s call him Gil, has decided that MY bedroom is HIS new stomping ground. I’m not a fan. And whereas I was easily able to kill the ants who prey on even the littlest drop/spot of food, the increasing number of these never-ceasing terrors in our home is starting to drive me a little nutso. The funny smells and dust/dirt in the air must be doing a number on my health too.

But most of the time I love my new friend, Cambodia. I really wanted to upload pictures - but internet isn't letting me. You're just going to have to trust that these pictures are filled with toothy grins, genuine laughter and lots of great memory-making.

It's probably way too soon to be saying this, but... it's going to be really hard to say goodbye to Cambodia.

1 comment:

  1. roya! i love hearing about your journey in cambodia. how much longer will you be there??

    ReplyDelete