I know... bad English, but the sky literally just unloaded an ocean onto my unprepared, bike-riding self. The rain was coming down so furiously that I could barely keep my eyes open! My contacts were wading in the pools of water that were filling up on my pupils and it was near impossible to blink rapidly enough to see clearly. It was like trying to take a shower with your eyes wide open the whole time. (Don’t worry mom, I’m alive J).
Pedal, pedal, squeeze water out of eyes, wipe off as much rain as possible, pedal, pedal. Repeat.
All this while trying to avoid being side-swiped by a motos and cars also scurrying to get home before the streets assumed the role of a rushing river. But no worries, I arrived home before the rising water reached my ankles! As traumatic as I make it sound though, biking in the rain is also a beautiful beautiful thing. Especially if you’re blessed to have a cozy home to coast into. It’s even tempting to just stand in the downpour, embracing the cooling effect.
The reason ponchos are here to stay is that it rains hard and often during rainy season in Cambodia. If you have any hope at all of arriving at your destination with your belongings dry, it’s a necessary purchase. And please, who WOULDN'T want to wear one of these beauties? :)
Pajamas – who says they’re only sleepwear? Cambodians sure don’t. At all times of day, women sport the matching button-up tops and shapeless bottoms with a preferably floral pattern. The more intense the design the better. In the beginning, it was always a little shocking to see women riding motos, shopping in the markets or selling goods wearing these (as Westerners see them) sleeping clothes. But I’ve become quite used to the sight. Nothing about PJs screams “night!” so why not? Pajamas are here to stay J


yay! i liked this post. here in seattle my biking experience has been quite the opposite--hot hot hot!
ReplyDeletewhen i was studying in shanghai it was really common to see men in their boxers & no shirt at all times of the day. although...i can't say seeing it at night would be normal either...
Eek! The rainy season is upon us. Glad to hear you are embracing it. I'm definitely going to miss the PJ wearing ladies of Cambodia. (But I'll tell you a secret... I bought a pair to take home with me. They are hideous and wonderful.)
ReplyDelete:)
very insightful :)
ReplyDeletei miss your whit and beautiful face roya.
I just noticed you had a new blog! LOOOVED IT! wow 3 things I never expected to read about. Pajamas! If you decided to follow the fashion, it will be something I will have to change when you arrive,lol.
ReplyDeletehaha that's really funny about pjs! nice post roya!!
ReplyDeletehaha! love those pjs. i def have a pair that i not so secretly wear =)
ReplyDelete