Hello friends,
Last month, I and IJM Director of Media Relations in Washington DC, had the opportunity to work with a team from ABC News.
ABC Nightline’s host Dan Harris, and producers Almin Karamehmedovic and Aude Soichet arrived from the U.S. to film a piece about the sex trafficking industry, especially related to American perpetrators. (note: American perpetrators are not IJM's focus, but we were still able to provide insight and resources into the commercial sex industry.)
It was quite the experience for me to arrange interviews and to tag along as they conducted those interviews and worked their big-media muscles. I was able to sit in on planning meetings and feel the tension of what it feels like to film undercover, what it is like to interview a victim of trafficking, what it feels like to meet deadlines and deadends.
We just heard that the pieces will begin airing tonight. I have no idea what the finished products look like.
Our hope and prayer is that the piece accurately gives American audiences a glimpse of what the industry really looks like over here. Much work is being done by a cooperative government and professional NGOs. But sex trafficking is an industry hard to crack. The healing process for victims is difficult, but with aftercare shelters like ARC, victims become survivors with so much strength.
Here's the TV schedule. If you get a chance to watch any of these programs, let me know what you think.
Tonight:
ABC World News 6:30 pm/ET, ABC. Featuring APLE
ABC Nightline 11:30 pm/ET, ABC. Featuring IJM/Agape
And tomorrow night:
ABC World News 6:30 pm/ET, ABC. Featuring IJM
for more: http://abcnews.go.com/Nightline/end-sexual-exploitation-cambodia/story?id=8579638
Oh, man! I missed tonights. I hope I can catch tomorrow's. Post YouTube videos if they are available! :)
ReplyDelete