Saturday, March 20, 2010

Ringing in Another New Year

Today was one of those days I was acutely aware of the Iranian-Japanese-American-ness (Iranesean?) that is our household.

This morning, not only did I wake up to the first day of Spring, I also opened the blinds to a beautiful Iranian New Year. Eide Shomah Mobarak! 


At 10:32AM, we officially rang in the New Year and marked it with the haftseen spread on the coffee table. My dad worked extra hard this year to make sure our table had the traditional 7 items that begin with the sound “s.” 
We also had a mirror to bring light into the New Year and three goldfish who you’re supposed to see move at the stroke of the New Year. 
Okay, okay, you're right, it’s not as dramatic as watching the crystal ball drop in New York. But, it's infinitely more organic and doesn't require buying a cross country ticket. I dig.

As I admired the Iranian spread, a couple of friends came over to work on their taxes. If that doesn't spell good ol' America...

Meanwhile my mom scribbled down in japanese the finishing touches on a speech she’d be giving at a local Japanese Preschool’s graduation.

Later we curled up on the couch and watched the Huskies woof down those New Mexico Lobos.
Did I mention I named the goldfish Quincy, Isaiah and Venoy? U-DUB. Sweet-16. Ya dig?





All in a day’s work,
Roya Sakura Emily Zahed


4 comments:

  1. ah! This post was amazing!!!!! That's so cute that your Dad set up the 7-sin this year. My mom hasn't done for some time. Saleh no mobarak!

    ReplyDelete
  2. more japanese-iranianess: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yu_Darvish

    ReplyDelete