Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Leadership

I’m on a journey to find the lowest common denominator of strong leadership.
Tell me, what are the shared traits between Lincoln, MLK, Robert E. Lee, Pol Pot, Mao and Hitler? What’s the secret to their wiring?

You see, I don’t qualify strong leaders as necessarily good people. I rather consider them the names you’d rattle off in a game of categories under the simple theme, “leaders.” Those first ten names you come up with, those are good leaders.  That you remember them and why you remember them, that's what I'm interested in.

Why did you choose those people? Why do we choose the same people? What makes a strong leader that way? I don’t think it’s objective. I think the key to a strong leader is that they are subjectively, globally and often seen that way.

Wooer, innovative, tall, male? I’m starting to think maybe it’s not about personality or body type. I’m starting to think it’s deeper and more abstract. I like that because then I know have a fighting chance. See, I want to be a strong leader.

And there you have it; why this is so interesting to me. I’m on a quest to be a good leader. I want to know the recipe. Yes, I feel it’s going to be more about the journey than the destination. No, I know this is not a simple effort.

But I digress…
My mind started racing as I read Jay Winik’s April 1865, (a phenomenal book). I wasn’t expecting the story about the last month of the Civil War to take me to a place of deep consideration on the idea of leadership. But it did; it did so well. It intimately showed me the character of two men. 
Abraham Lincoln and Robert E. Lee are vastly different characters and history remembers them both as great leaders. One was awkward, dedicated, a people pleaser, not authoritative and often given in to emotions while the other was charismatic, stately, strategic, resilient and in the end on the losing side. How are they both great leaders? How is Lincoln now marked as one of the greatest leaders of American history? Not many in his lifetime would expect he would be remembered today as a great leader. That he is now even more revered confuses my analysis too. Leaders can become “gooder” in death? Oh boy, there is a lot to wade through.

That’s why this is my first post of what I hope are many as I work to uncover the mark of good leadership.

The challenge to myself and to you, if you so choose to accept, is to read books with the framework of searching for patterns of leadership. Notice those who you think are great leaders and search for patterns. Ask yourself, what does the leader have that others don’t. Does leadership run in the family? Was it that the idea they stood for was what the general public wanted to stand for? Did some crisis at an early age spur them to leadership? Were they good speakers? Did they die for their cause? I want to know, why did people listen to them?

The hunt commences now. Pony up.

2 comments:

  1. mmmm...i like it. loved reading this- and i so love your writing style rz. i'm in the middle of a great book - maybe you've read it? In "The 21 Irrefutable Laws of Leadership" author John C. Maxwell says: "Leadership is influence, nothing more, nothing less." And he says that influence is earned. If this is the case, then, you're right - us young dreamers have a "fighting chance". Does the question then become: how do we then earn influence?

    g2g2bed cause tomorrow is a rather big day of training... have to try to influence a group of people that they can change their thinking. if i succeed, would that make me a leader? :) good night!(or good morning) kage

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreeing with Kage; leadership is influence. That's the lowest common denominator. Not morals, not speaking skills, but rather infectious influence. I have to be convinced that she/he knows the best way to do something; her passion and vigor and thoughtfulness on a topic will lead me.

    I think being a professional/expert on a topic is the first step, right? Having a platform and an agenda gives you the purpose of leadership. Or, like many books on leadership, one can lead others to become leaders on their chosen topics.

    My quick list of qualities of a good leader:
    - Infectious
    - Thoughtful
    - Deliberate--in speech and relationship
    - Analytic. Good leaders will revamp their mission and purpose--question why.

    Maybe in asking "what makes a good leader" we should ask "why is 'x' not seen as a good leader?"

    ReplyDelete