Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Back Again

For two and a half years I've been waiting for tomorrow.

True to my "Type A" tendencies I've tried so darn hard to abandon, I'm nearly packed and have two copies of my itinerary printed out for good measure. My electronics are charged and I have a fresh journal and favorite pen to track the journey.
Everything seems to be checked off the list. I should be excited beyond words.

looking back in my journal
But in reality, my nerves are creeping in. What if I don't recognize the city anymore? Will I remember how to get around or how to bargain for fair deals? I'm suddenly the newbie, the weakest link in a city that's no doubt changed since I left in 2009.

But, I will expect great things still. I've been sending off interns with those same words and it's time I took them on myself. Expect great things but don't expect specific things. I shouldn't expect that every street will look the same; it won't. I shouldn't expect my language skills to be on par with how I left; it'll take some work.
But I can acknowledge and remember how much my time there impacted me. I can recall how the people I met inspired and moved me. I do know that I've yearned to go back ever since I left.

So with that, Royambodia is back in action. Two and a half years in the making; Back to Cambodia, again.

Okay, so maybe I am getting a little excited...

6 comments:

  1. Woohoo! Just wanted you to know I'll be reading your blog. And I have a couple of awesome friends in Cambodia should you ever need more contacts.

    I'm heading overseas soon to serve in Central Asia. God sure calls to crazy places!

    Excited to hear how your transition goes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was wondering where you were off to. I know that feeling: packing up and heading out to somewhere familiar but new and all the excitement and nervous energy abound. I know you'll do great. I'm happy to see you have a blog. -Regina (G-Dawg)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post Roya. I love that 'expect great things'. Excited to hear about your journey!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow... so excited for you, Royroy. And expecting amazing things for you and for those you meet. //Missa

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very excited for the new chapter in your life!

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Expect great things but don't expect specific things." I like that, going in my quote book ;)

    ReplyDelete