It’s November, which means it’s almost December, which means it’s almost 2009! I can hardly believe ‘tis nearly the season to cram our Christmas tree into the living room, string the lights, and for me to transplant across the globe to plunge into a very new adventure.
In retrospect, 2008’s been a year of extremes: I graduated from UW, was a bridesmaid three times, clocked in a summer of midnight shifts as news producer at KIRO, left my job at UW’s study abroad office after three years, our exchange student of just as long went back home and my mom was diagnosed with cancer. Thank you for support through it all, I can’t tell you what a ride it’s been.
And now, I have another bit of breaking news. From January, I am taking on the position of Communications Intern with the International Justice Mission (IJM) in Cambodia.
For nine months, I get to intern for this human rights agency whose mission is to: securejustice for victims of slavery, sexual exploitation and other forms of violent oppression. IJM lawyers, investigators and aftercare professionals work with local officials to ensure immediate victim rescue and aftercare, to prosecute perpetrators and to promote functioning public justice systems.
The Cambodia office focuses on cases related to sexual violence and forced prostitution. It has never had a Communications intern, so I’m the nervous newbie. My tasks will include organizing media inquiries, conducting interviews, writing stories and producing brochures. This opportunity to be an international reporter or sorts is exactly what I have dreamed of. CNN, BBC, the UN… maybe in the future. But for right now, IJM is the right fit.
My life has been in preparation for an opportunity such as this. I’ve always prayed for God to continually shape my heart like His so that I can see the world like He does. I feel like His pulse drove me to apply to IJM on a whim, His pulse grew my heart for the cause and His knowledge of who I am and my dreams has prepared a way for me to go.
Just as you have all been praying for my mom, I ask that you also keep me in your prayers; for a good community, fun, strength, safety and a sense of purpose.
Also, as this is a non-profit, I need to fundraise. My goal, which includes estimated costs for airfare, housing for nine months, etc. is $15,000. One time gifts, or monthly gives, anything helps. I am hoping that 7 or 8 families/groups can donate $100/month. Donations can be tax deductible. The included paper details the ways you can aid me
I’m just an ordinary college grad: a hopeful, self conscious, big dreaming, lured to travel, passionate and antsy sponge. And now, I’ve been gifted with a huge opportunity. What I have now and the skills I’ve garnered, I want to give and use. God has blessed me with an extraordinary life and I believe I was created to use it for Him. I know the work in Cambodia is going to present poverty and suppression like I’ve never seen. Yet and because of that I am compelled to make this journey.
My e-mail address is royazahed@gmail.com. While I’m abroad, I’d love to hear from you! Also, please let me know if you’d like to be on my e-mail contact list, I hope to start a blog about my travels.
![]()
No comments:
Post a Comment