It's been more than 1 month and happily, I can speak Khmer in (somewhat choppy, but) full sentences! I have an awesome tutor who I meet with every morning for 1.5 hrs.
It’s an absolute joy when people understand what I attempt to communicate!
Here are a few words for starters - in order of most frequently used by yours truly…
Akun chiran – Thank you very much (ex: akun chiran for not hitting me as I cross the street)
Atey – No (ex: “Atay! I don’t need a moto-taxi. As you can see, I am riding my bike)
Jaa – Yes (Jaa, I would LOVE a mango smoothie)
Suk-suh-buy tdei? – How are you?
Som-toh – Excuse me
Study up! J
Thats awesome you are learning the language. I have never heard of that dialect. Proud of you :)
ReplyDeleteHi Roya!
ReplyDeleteSuk-suh-buy tdei? Akun chiran for the post, Roya chan! Som-toh, but how did you get so good at Khmer? It must be because you are so amazing, jaa, jaa, that's it. Atey, I need to go! But I miss you and keep up the good work and the great posts!
Love,
Carrie
So does this make is your 5th or 6th language?
ReplyDeleteMiss ya lover. I had a dream you called me...lol look what you have done to me!