Monday, March 9, 2009

Travels to the South - a few weeks ago

(I went on this trip in late February! I need to catch up!)

The white-sand beaches are marvelous and the young vendors are precious. This is Sihanoukville, a town on the southcoast of Cambodia, alive with bumping guesthouses on the water and teeming with happy tourists.

Wait, let me try that again…

The beach is sort of gross, cigarette butts and trash of all sorts are mixed in the white sand. The beach vendors are young girls who have seen millions of tourists fly through. They are set out to work at such a young age and kids who could be their friends (and maybe also are) are their tough competition. They’re innocent, but they also mean business – they must sell their product. For who they work and how much they are paid – I have no idea.

Anyway, my four friends and I spent just over 24 hours in this popular tourist spot soaking in the rays while also seeing the effects of passerbys like us. We became especially “close” to two girls, one selling fruit, the other selling bracelets. We spent a lot of time with them. We tried practicing our Khmer, but they knew more English than I’d expected. I was encouraged to hear that they attended school.

But….I wondered how many times they’d become “close” to other tourists, only to say goodbye hours later. I wondered how many fruits or bracelets they were able to sell because of their cuteness, charm and knowledge of English. I wondered if it was more harmful or helpful that we spent so much time with these two girls. I wondered about their future. I wondered if they’d remember me as I know I will remember them. I hope the best for these girls.


Still…
I was able to have a wonderful time. We ate squid on a stick, played in the impossibly warm water, got our “tan on,” and got to explore another part of Cambodia.

I came away from Sihanoukville with intense sunburns, good memories, so many questions and uncertain feelings...

2 comments:

  1. good Q's. I'm sure they sell bracelets because they are cute. Cuteness appeal has a huge affect on the tourist's propensity to buy trinkets.

    I'm not exactly sure how it could have been harmful for the girls, unless they were playing you. I can't imagine you having a bad effect unless they were just using you for your bracelet money.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've wondered about that too.

    I met a girl in Laos who collects postcards from people she met from around the world. I said I would write a postcard from the US, but then I lost her address when my wallet was stolen in Thailand.

    I often regret not getting the contact info for interesting people I meet or people who help me out. Sometimes you just don't think of it till its too late.

    ReplyDelete