Sunday, May 23, 2010

West Coast to East Coast. A change in "seams"

For my first East Coast post, I’ve decided to write about clothing and accessories. I’m no fashionista for certain, but it’s almost impossible not to notice the difference in style from one Washington to the other.
Here’s my list one week into the experience…

Seattle - DC
Urban hipster – Euro hipster
            This could be my biggest and most contentious generalization. But seriously, I think people driving the Seattle music and café scene have worked the “I just woke up and put my clothes on in the dark” into a rather chique and put-together look. Not too pricey, but impressively enviable. The dominant colors seem to be black, brown and gray.
            In DC, the European influence trounces the urban look. People wear caps, invest quite a bit in shoes and no outfit is complete without a (often wide-striped) cardigan. The silver or gold jewelry add to the East Coast hipster w/ bling. Here the colors are lighter and brighter. I know this makes these hipsters sound more pretentious, but they're not. They just honestly get a lot more inspiration from their friends across the Atlantic.

Scarves and NorthFace – Scarves and Collars
            Of course the cooler weather in Seattle is a reason for the ever-present black north face, but rarely did I see guys with (popped) collars roaming the streets unless they were dressed for a special occasion or work. In DC, I think men’s closets are filled with collars for everyday purposes.

Flip flops – Flats
            It’s a fact that girls in Seattle whip our their flip-flops as soon as the sun teases an appearance. Old Navys around town are sold-out of there 2 for $5 flip-flops as soon as spring lands. I think cute flats and strappy sandals are becoming more common, but not as much as they are already in DC.

I-pods + Umbrellas + Yoga mats – Sunglasses + Pearls + $$$ Watches
            Seattle’s favorite accessory is the i-pod. We’ve all seen or been the person completely zoned out of the world and zoned into our playlist of choice. It’s likely a major contributor to the Seattle Freeze. Those, plus the much needed umbrella and rolled up mat for the every-other-person yoga enthusiast keep Seattleites’ hands full.
            Instead, in DC, hands are mostly free, but covering eyes or atop heads is a pair of sunglasses. It is sunnier more often here and that is the biggest reason for the shades. Pearls, to me, are a sign of the NorthEast influence, and so are the $$$ watches I see so often on wrists. (In Seattle, I see more sports watches).

Men wearing jeans – Men wearing pastel-colored lightly-striped bermuda shorts
           This is actually one of the things I noticed first and notice most often. 

other
- Sporty jackets (often Columbia, NorthFace, Nike, etc) - Classy jackets (a little longer, brown or khaki colored, collared, buttons)
- Boys with long shaggy hair – Boys with clean and cropped tops
- Women wearing Sevens jeans and shirts with progressive messages totting reusable or H&M purchased big bags - Women wearing dresses with waist-high belts (always!) totting reusable or classy dept store purchased big bags.

4 comments:

  1. I liked this post -something interesting to think about! I noticed a change too when I moved to Washington from Maryland.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I was in Montana w/ a bunch of poli sci majors from across the US, I noticed the shorts first too.

    Glad to hear you're settling in! Hope it's going great bud =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on the move to the East Coast! Lauren told me about your new job. How awesome! I hope you love DC, and please write often-I will live vicariously through your blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. GREAT post! I think I'm going to love visiting you in DC. YEA for fashion...Seattle needs to get on board!

    ReplyDelete