Question: Is DC a part of the North or the South?
John F. Kennedy once joked, "Washington is a city of Southern efficiency and Northern charm."
My answer to the question, despite a wise New Yorker telling me otherwise, is that DC is North.
With that said, the Southern influence in this town is sweeping. It’s completely foreign to me, the ever-so Seattleite who’s never stepped into a Honky Tonk or heard of Chick-fil-A. The reaction when I say the latter is sheer astonishment.
Here I meet packs of A&M-ers who proudly tell of their fascinating traditions. I meet Georgians, North and South-Carolinians, Oklahomans, and Arkansans. It’s a whole new world I’m happily learning about and from. Living in Seattle, I always wondered who were the people keeping the elections so tight. There’s no question of how Washington State votes. But, it’s through stories I hear from my Southern friends that I understand where the GOP’s got game.
Besides all that, these bible-belt dwellers know a thing or two about hospitality, and yes, their way of speak is indeed growing on me.
I’ve caught myself on quite a few occasions saying “y’all.” Now, before you get all your feathers ruffled, let me convince you of how functional is the contraction. Instead of saying “you guys” when the group has guys and gals, why not use the all encompassing “y’all?” I do declare, it’s quite handy.
I’m slurring words I didn’t think could be slurred and startling myself by drawing out vowels. I can only imagine how much I pick up by the time I visit home.
So, consider this post a little warning or heads up, that I may have a little twang in my speak and a little “y’all”-ing coming your way Seattle.
Some fun and stereotypical Southern sayings: http://ashlandbelle.com/Southern.html
heck yes!!! Y'all was the best thing I ever learned while living in Oklahoma...my students make fun of me but I like to think of it as a little part of me for living in OK
ReplyDeleteBud, I think it's Chick Fil A, only the best fast food place ever! There's one in Bellingham actually, and a few in Cali and several in AZ. Maybe one day, it'll make it's way to Seattle.
ReplyDeleteRoya! I find myself looking at your blog because I miss you! I haven't seen you in 245634563456 years it seems. I'm very excited that you are saying yall and please let me know if you have any aggie questions. My goal is to teach you the fight song by the end of the summer. motions and everything!
ReplyDeleteNever heard of Chick-fil-a?!?!?! Hope you are on that bandwagon now! In fact, when I saw you in DC, I had just come straight from camping out for 36 hours in a Chick-fil-a parking lot in Maryland to win free Chick-fil-a for a year! But alas, like Seattle, Zambia does not yet have Chick-Fil-A.
ReplyDelete