Thursday, October 14, 2010

A Friend Spotlight - Bonnie

I've been blessed to know some incredible people who are blazing fires in my life; Friends who are inspired dreamers, action-oriented heroes and humans with whom I am so blessed to share even just a chapter of my life. Here's one...

She knows how to bust a move on the dance floor and bring a party to life, will try anything once, loves her cosmos and fries, and is everything a social worker should be.

Today, I introduce to you a dear friend overseas... I call her Bonz, most people call her Bonnie.

This girl grew up in the hubbub of Philly, went to school at Gordon College near Boston and got her Masters of Social Work at Dominican University near Chicago. Then Bonnie moved to Phnom Penh and now Siem Reap with IJM.

Transitioning from city life under the lights to a country where electricity comes and goes without the flip of a light-switch proves Bonnie is always willing to go. Combine that with her knack for making anyplace a fun place and buckle your seatbelt because you've got one heck of an adventure ahead.

I journeyed with her for incredible nine months in Phnom Penh.

Bonnie taught me so much through her bravery and unconditional love for people, whether housemate or stranger. 
One of the most important lessons she taught me is that each person we encounter is an opportunity for us to show love, to develop a relationship and to share an invitation. She did it with abandon.

Behind our home, it was the neighbors. She ate at their homes many nights and was an ear to their stories. Around the corner from our home, it was the local blue-collar tuk-tuk drivers. She invested in their lives, learned about their families and invited them to English lessons. At our favorite cafe, it was the workers. She was invited to their parties and she invited them to ours. Once, she spent a holiday at one worker's far-away village. Did I mention that she did all this despite a language barrier?

That's Bonnie for you. She'll deal with challenges and give her all.

She is not possessive of her friendships or time. She is a giver, especially of explanations, wisdom and resources.
Many a night she would sit at the foot of my bed and talk sense into my confusion. Many a night she would stand at my door and console me about my latest worries. A few nights I would hear a knock on my door and there she was, sensing that I needed an ear to listen, a voice to strengthen, or a prayer to comfort. I'm so glad she also challenged me even if it stretched me beyond my comfort zone. She didn't allow me to be anything less of what I should be; I am so grateful. She is the impetus of me wanting to have a dynamic life.

This story could not end without highlighting that Bonnie = Fun. She's that cool older sister everyone wishes they had. She's the one ready to hit the town when the rest of us were curling up in bed. And you can always count on her for blazing the competition in a dance-off, nailing imitations and spontaneously breaking out in interpretive dance.

Here’s to Bonnie as she gives to the multitudes with her hands and her heart. May she continue to blaze new trails, have fun, and push others to realize the shining potential she and God see in them.

1 comment:

  1. bonnie truly will be missed, you wrote a beautiful blog and i couldn't agree more! -aims

    ReplyDelete